We very much look forward to welcoming you to Epchris House. Check-in is from 15:00 on arrival day and it is our aim to personally greet guests arriving between 15:00 to 17:00 whenever possible. We operate a key safe system which means you can arrive any time you like after 15:00. On your arrival day we will text you with a key safe code, so you can access your room key and let yourself in.
Check-out is between 8.00am and 10.30am on departure day. If you need an earlier check-in or a later check out, please let us know well in advance and we will accommodate wherever possible. We charge £20 for a check-in from midday and £20 for a check-out by midday.
Guests have told us that they love the relaxed feel of an in-room breakfast, so breakfast is now served at a dining table and chairs in your room, at a time to suit you from a pre-ordered menu with a choice of hot and cold items. This also helps us comply with social distancing rules, that may be with us for some time.
A hamper containing juices, fruits, cereals, homemade muffins and pastries is placed outside rooms from 8am and you pre-order your choice of freshly cooked hot item (including a full English) the night before, to be delivered piping hot from our kitchen in a pre-agreed time slot between 8.15 and 9.45am. If the weather is nice you are welcome to take your breakfast and eat al fresco on our sheltered sun terrace! We operate an ‘open door’ policy in the kitchen, so just pop your head around the door and let us know your plans and we’ll deliver your hot food to an outdoor table.
If a group of you are holidaying together and would like to eat breakfast in our lounge/games room, please speak to us and we will be happy to accommodate you.
We are extremely lucky to have an array of award-winning micro food producers right here on our doorstep and we have devised a breakfast menu to offer you the chance to sample North Devon’s finest food stuffs!
Vegetarian, vegan, gluten and dairy free options available by request. Please let us know of any other special dietary requirements in advance of your stay and we will do our very best to accommodate. We provide tea and coffee making facilities in your room, but for health and safety reasons are unable to deliver hot drinks to your room.
We offer an honesty bar, so you can help yourself to a drink to enjoy in our comfy bar and lounge area or catch the rays and the views from our sun terrace. There’s a good selection of local beers, cider and Gin, the usual range of Spirits and wine, plus soft drinks, mixers and snacks.
You are welcome to order takeaways to eat in your room but would kindly ask that you answer the door on delivery.
We are happy to advise on our favourite local takeaways and you will find a stock of plates, cutlery and napkins in our bar area, plus a table and chairs in your room.
Please just leave your dirty plates outside your room for collection when we do our rounds in the morning.
You may see our 3 dogs, Stryder our golden Lurcher, Jesse the Greyhound and Florrie the Whippet during your stay at Epchris Guesthouse. All of them are very friendly, although Florrie suffers with small dog syndrome so may bark at dogs that she doesn’t know. They live with us in our on-site accommodation and have exclusive use of the private paddock at the bottom of the garden.
To ensure you (and your dog!) have as comfortable and enjoyable a stay as possible here are a few guidelines:
- Please do not leave your dog alone in the guest house public areas or bedrooms. We are happy to advise on dog friendly beaches, walks, cafes, pubs and restaurants
- With a bit of notice we can sometimes offer an evening dog-sitting service should you wish to go out, please speak to us directly
- Please keep your dog on a lead in all public areas of the guest house
- We allow dogs in the bar/lounge or on the sun terrace
- Please always be considerate of other guests
- We have provided you with a front door key so you can let yourself out if your dog needs to go out in the night
- You are welcome to walk your dog in our gardens, but please pick up after them and do not allow them to wee on anything other than greenery! Bags can be deposited in the bin at the end of the drive
- Please note the paddock at the bottom of the garden is private and for owners use only
- Unfortunately, even with the best-behaved dogs accidents can happen. All damages/extra cleaning will need to be paid for
- Please note there is a £5 per night charge for all doggy guests and you will need to supply your own food, water bowl and bedding
These terms and conditions apply to people booking directly with us via the website or telephone. For bookings with on-line travel agents please check your confirmation email:-
- COVID-19 – We will not charge you for your booking if restrictions prevent you from staying with us. If you are unable to stay due to a positive test result or order to self isolate we will just ask for evidence before we settle your refund.
- PAYMENT TYPES – We accept: Cash, BACS (Bank Transfer) and Card Payments
- Accepted Cards – Visa Debit / Delta, Visa Credit, Mastercard – No Charge
- DEPOSIT DETAILS – We don’t require a deposit to be taken at the time of booking. A valid credit or debit card is required to guarantee the booking
- ADVANCED PAYMENT – Full booking payment will be taken 12 days before arrival.
- CANCELLATION DETAILS – If the booking is cancelled less than 12 days before arrival then a charge equal to the full booking amount will be made unless we are able to re-let the room. Sometimes we may need to offer the room at a discounted rate to secure another booking, in which case you will receive a refund with the discount deducted.
- REDUCTION & NO SHOW – In the event of a no show or booking reduction (after arrival date) the full cost of the booking is charged.
- Unfortunately, we no longer accept cheques. Upon request, we can provide our bank details for a direct transfer if preferred.
- If multiple rooms are booked by a party organiser, then this named individual is responsible for any resulting outstanding fees in the event of a breach of the cancellation policy.
- Please note no reduction will be made for early departure or temporary absence. · We do strongly recommend that holiday insurance is taken out for coverage of costs in the event of the unexpected. This is often a free add on to many bank accounts, or quotes can be obtained from most insurance brokers.
From M5 junction 27, take the A361 to Barnstaple.
Follow signs for Lynton/Lynmouth A39 (we advise you not to take the A361 through Braunton, due to heavy traffic in busy holiday periods).
As you leave Barnstaple, turn left off A39 onto B3230 signed for Ilfracombe.
Pass through Muddiford and after a couple of miles turn left onto A3123 signed for Woolacombe.
After a couple of miles at roundabout, take 3rd exit onto A361 signed for Ilfracombe (passing The Depot pub on your left).
Carry on down the hill into Ilfracombe and follow signs for the Sea Front.
After you pass LIDL on the left-hand side, take the next left at the traffic lights and turn immediately left into Torrs Park.
Carry on up the hill and you will see the sign for Epchris House on the left-hand side, please turn into the drive and park in the lower car park unless you are in the garden suite/disability access room, in which case park in the reserved space nearest to the front door.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you back when it is safe for us to open our doors, hopefully by Easter.
Whilst the vaccine programme is rolled out to all adults, we will continue to follow guidelines and have extra measures in place to keep everyone as safe as possible, whilst also making sure that you have a fantastic stay.
We are requesting that social distancing guidelines are kept to and although we cannot shake your hand you can rest assured of a big smile.
We will text or email you 24 hours prior to your arrival with useful current up to date information and give you the opportunity to ask any last minute questions.
Hand sanitiser stations are positioned throughout the house and we ask that they are used especially on entering and exiting the building.
During the pandemic we have been offering a room service breakfast, which is pre-ordered the night before and delivered to your room between 08.00-0930. It’s been so popular with guests that when we are able to go back to ‘normal’, we will be offering the choice of a traditional dining room full English or an in-room option.
Housekeeping of your room during your stay is by request and will be to essential areas only. Extra cleaning and disinfection policies are in place. All rooms are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected upon guest departure and before your arrival. Our housekeeper will be wearing a face covering, disposable gloves and apron which will be changed after each room clean. We are constantly updating our cleaning policy and keeping ourselves informed and trained in all aspects relating to your safety.
We have ensured that social distancing is possible in our public areas and gardens to allow you to enjoy our beautiful house and grounds. Frequent cleaning and disinfection of public areas will take place during the day.
We very much look forward to opening and giving you a warm welcome, whenever that may be.
Take care and stay safe.
Cath & Simon